Thursday, January 28, 2010
I wanted to write just a quick update to let you know I am doing well. I am writing. I am having vivid dreams. I am feeling optimistic. I am enjoying this week (Recovering a Sense of Possibility) in the Artist's Way so much that I made it a two-weeker. Not because I was dragging my ass, but because it is a rich subject and I wanted to spend a lot of time on it. I am really into the weekly tasks and getting a lot out of them. I may share some of the exercises with you later.
The other really cool thing that has happened is that I have made some really positive (re) connections with some of my creative friends. Now, if you are a friend of mine (and really, if you are reading this you are either friend or family, quite frankly) I do NOT want you to take this the wrong way. I recognize and appreciate the fact that all of you are creative in your own ways. Many of you are artists - both publicly and privately. What I mean is that I have - thanks, in part, to this blog - had conversations with folks that maybe I wouldn't have had before. Maybe because we didn't realize the other was interested in writing too, or to the same degree, or had the same struggles.
What has come out of this is that I am getting more comfortable talking about my writing (which gets me more excited about it), more comfortable calling myself a writer (which is a goal of mine) and also gathering a support group of other folks who are interested in writing or creating in some way and are willing to join forces with the goal of helping each of us stay focused, stay positive and get some good shit out there.
Friday, January 22, 2010
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Monday, January 18, 2010
Thursday, January 14, 2010
― Betty Bender
No, I have no idea who Betty Bender is...or was. Other than a smart, inspiring cookie.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Friday, January 8, 2010
Please accept my apologies for being such a blog-slacker! Has it really been two weeks since I posted last?
In my humble defense I present the following facts:
- Mom was moved into a skilled nursing facility (sad, good, different, jolting)
- It was Christmas Eve (crab, french bread, salad, 1.25 bottles of champagne per imbiber, up until 3AM drunk wrapping for Santa and watching Jersey Shore);
- It was Christmas (happy kids, speed unwrapping completed in less than 20 minutes, joy, unbridled enthusiasm, happiness, contentedness, exhaustion)
- ... I cooked (prime rib roast experiment, roasted honey glazed veg, DIVINE oven roasted broccolini and green beans, cranberry sauce, baked potatoes, cheese, crackers, Dip Cheney, wine, coookies, pleasant exhaustion)
- It was New Year's (Big Sur, camping, meeting new, fascinating, creative, fun, warm people, more pure joy and awe and hope than one can really hope to start the new year with)
- And then...back to work (hmmmm...how to put this politely?...Let's just say it involves less of the good stuff listed above.)
That is the life update for the past two weeks. Now to the creative update, which, Dear Reader, is the point of this whole endeavor, as you well know.
I have managed to do my morning pages (and then some!) most days. I think I may have missed a day or two in the midst of the Christmas hullaballoo, but for the most part I have been on the money as far as that goes. I have, once again, given myself another extension this week. Where I ought to have completed Week Three : "Recovering a Sense of Power" last Sunday I will now complete it this Sunday, the 10th.
How's that for recovering a sense of power! hah! How you like me now!?!