Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! (and thanks!)

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me.

-- Dr. Seuss

Join me, Dear Reader, in wishing Dr. Seuss a happy birthday!
 
You know, I went to grad school in his hometown - Springfield, Massachusetts. Just a little Jessica Trivia for you.
 
You may have noticed it is Tuesday and I usually post my weekly check-in on Monday.  I am giving myself another week (again, per usual) to work on this week's topic, "Recovering a Sense of Compassion." I have not done much this week. I have lagged a little on the daily pages and I didn't do a single task out of the book. I have not felt motivated at all. I have felt uninspired, lazy and all around ugly.
 
Apparently, that is not uncommon at this point. (Relief! I am not strange! I am not abnormal!)  As I read the sidebar for this week (kind of a "what to expect" blurb) Cameron writes, "This week finds us facing the internal blocks to creativity. It may be tempting to abandon ship at this point. Don't!"
 
OK. I won't.
 
No, really. I won't.
 
I promise.
 
As I read on, Cameron says,
Blocked artists are not lazy. They are blocked.
Being blocked and being lazy are two different things. The blocked artist typically expends a great deal of energy - just not visibly. The blocked artist spends energy on self-hatred, on regret, on grief, and on jealousy. The blocked artist spends energy on self-doubt.
Hmmph. Not that I want to admit to all that, but yeah, she is totally on the money, Honey. That about sums up my mental space this past week. Yuk.

So what is plan to get past all this self-perpetuated ugliness you ask? Do I have one?

Oh yeah, I've got one:

"...I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

Write on,
j

No comments:

Post a Comment